TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:04:12 -0400
In my experience the IPC guidelines (SM-782) usually are wide enough to
contain the set of supplier suggested designs for a given component. In some
cases the component supplier specifies a pattern outside the guidelines,
usually, optimised for component population density, these frequently create
problems in manufacturing (placement, moving components and insufficient
solder fillets).

The best solution, IMHO, is a custom library based a combination of supplier
provided patterns compared to IPC guidelines (which are optimised for
manufacturing yields and robust solder fillets), followed by lessons
learned. Which, as I read your message, is exactly what you do.