Date:
Tue, 10 SEP 96 10:06:43 MDT
Jerry,

You bring up some interesting environmental questions.  We also used to toss
out a huge amount of these trays, but have now found a recycler that would
pick them up at no charge.  It would seem prudent to recycle even at a break
even cost, since most of these trays are manufactured with a thermoset
plastic due to the heat requirements for baking the components within the
trays.  Simply meaning the trays cannot be melted down, but must rather be
ground into small pieces and mixed in with other plastic to be reformed.
The strength of the recycled thermoset plastics is not comparable to that
of the original.  Somewhat like comparing pressed board to a tree!
I have heard the grinding process beats up the grinding equipment, which
makes the profit of recycling this material very low.

This is just my understanding, do we have any real experts out there?

                                                           Steve A