From:
John Nieznanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 07 Jul 1996 22:42:54 -0700
Hello fellow TechNet and DesignerCouncil readers:

As part of our DARPA program entitled "Digital Micro Architectures", I am looking into the
relationship between numerous PCB form factors and multichip module packages for both DoD and
commercial applications.

Specifically, I am trying to establish an intelligent PCB/MCM database which includes key inputs from
the Commercial and DoD design communities with the objective of enabling the PCB/MCM designer to
readily identify specific MCM packages for use on specific PCB form factors, given the constraints of
the application.

These application specific constraints could include, for example:
1. operating environment
   a. comm'l
   b. industrial
   c. rugged
   d. full-MIL (class B or class S)
   e. other?
2. allowable PCB/MCM dimensions [LxWxH]
   a. usable component area
   b. component spacings
   c. covers, wedgelocks, ejectors, connectors
   d. CTE-matched cores, thermal, cooling method(s)
3. the "ilities":
   a. manufacturability
   b. producibility
   c. testability
   d. reliability
   e. maintainability
   f. supportability

The collected inputs will be analyzed, compiled and made available to the user community at-large,
probably through WWW access. Some preliminary data is available for review. Although a WWW site has
been established (http://www.ito.arpa.mil/Summaries95/D320--Lockheed.html), the collected data is not
yet posted. It can be distributed upon request. Although this distribution is not contingent upon any
formal agreement, it is important to note that feedback of any kind (positive/negative) is very
important to this program and is strongly encouraged and solicited.

A sample of the data collected / solicited to date includes the following:

     PCB form factors: SEM-E (IEEE, JIAWG, others?), VME (6Ux160,
         9Ux160, others?), PCMCIA, etc.
         The predominant PCB form factors that are of interest are
         specified as follows: ___________________________________(?)

     MCM form factors: JEDEC MO-148 (56mm sq., 60mm sq., 64mm sq.,
         80mm sq.), rectangular?, others?
         The predominant MCM form factors that are of interest are
         specified as follows: ___________________________________(?)

     PCB design guidelines (usable area, spacings, etc.)

We are also interested in exploring joint collaborations in this area and would be happy to discuss
potential working relationships:
1. technical reviewer, consultant
2. technology contributor or user (new designs, new architectures, etc.)
3. supplier (bare die, boards, MCMs, packages, etc.)
4. foundry source (MCM foundry, PWB foundry, semiconductor fab, etc.)
5. other ???

Towards that end, I will be happy to discuss this program in more detail with you or one of your
colleagues in regards to the overall objectives, technical approach, technology transition, and
potential working relationships. Although a broad range of participation is invited, covering the
full spectrum of PCB/MCM design and packaging issues, it should not be construed that only large
scale participation is of interest. It is our expectation that we will find various levels of
interest / involvement across industry / academia, depending on the perceived strategic and economic
importance of this type of effort to each organization.

The overall intent is to accelerate the development and deployment of scalable computing
architectures for DoD use by leveraging ongoing advances in signal/data processing throughput
(increasing number of operations per second per chip), improved availability of unpackaged (bare)
die, and numerous multichip packaging options in the merchant market.

Your questions, contributions and redistributions to interested parties are most welcomed.