From:
Chris Stack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
08 May 96 12:27:40 -0400

  We have bought copyrighted artwork.  We use images of this artwork to
produce PC boards.  We treat this copyrighted artwork as capital property
for IRS purposes.  Are there any tax cases or rulings that relate to this
or prohibit this treatment?  We were audited by the Feds five years ago
on this and passed.  We were audited by the state last year and passed.
We are preparing for another federal audit in which they are questioning
our capital treatment of this artwork.  If they have changed the rules, I
need to know before we go in.

   Below are some messages posted to the IPC TechNet forum on this
subject.  If you have any further insight into this matter, your reply
will be appreciated.

Thanks,

--- Chris Stack
--- Ext. 231
--- CD Electronics, Inc.
--- Printed Circuit Board Designer and Purchasing Agent

Originally From: Pamela Samuelson -- Cornell Law School -
 Forum:  Copyright Law
 Date: Thu Apr 25 09:21:43 1996
 Subject: Copyright on Wiring Boards

There is, in my view, no chance whatsoever to claim copyright
protection on the layout you describe.  Recall that back in the
late 1970's and early 1980's, Intel tried to get copyright
protection for the layout of semiconductors in chips by first
claiming copyright in the drawings of the chip layout (no
problem), then trying to register copyright in the masks made from
the drawings as a derivative work of a copyrighted work that
embodied the same expression (the Copyright Office refused), and
asserting that the chip layouts themselves were also protectable
by copyright law as yet another derivative work (also refused by
the Copyright Office).

This kind of work would fall under the category of pictorial,
sculptural, or graphic work, and is therefore subject to the
useful article limitation.  I don't perceive from your statement
how there could be any expression separable from the utilitarian
design elements for copyright law to protect.

*==== Menu: DISCUSS  ====*
- National Topical Forums
- Intellectual Property
- Copyright Law

 I posed this question to a board house I know.

     Their response was from a different angle.  They can understand very
well
     why someone would want to copyright a physical PCB.  But, since
copyright
     covers literary, dramatic, artistic or musical works, it seemed
impossible
     for them to copyright the physical board.

     They tried to skin the cat another way.  They took one step back in
the
     process to the artwork.  If they could control the artwork through
     copyright, then they could control the board.

     AHA, they thought!  Now, they had something!  BUT, Uncle Sam came in
and
     declared that artwork for PCBs is considered a "TOOL".  If they
wanted to
     declare the artwork "COPYRIGHTED", their TAXES changed.  They have
been
     fighting the IRS on this for a couple of years.

     Combine the above with your explanation below, it sounds like the
IRS is
     perfectly willing to forgo the artistic expression argument side of
things
     just so they can get their hands on more money.  I'd be careful on
this
     one!