Date:
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 18:25:59 -0800
No, all 5kW machines are not created equally.  5kW is simply the amount
of power that is required to run the lamp and does not necessarily relate
directly to the light output.

A few things to consider:
- Different lamp types (i.e.: capillary, straight mercury vapor,
iron-doped) emit different light spectra and intensities.
- Jacketed (water-cooled) lamps add an extra layer of glass and a layer
of water for the light to go through, so you can lose quite a bit of
light there.
- Yes, you should focus on exposure plane intensity (but make sure that
the intensities were measured using the same radiometer, because no two
measure exactly alike.)  I've got some field test data comparing the
machines you're looking at, if you'd like to get in touch with me.
- As you probably know, you'll get better resolution and straighter side
walls if you hit your resist with higher intensity for a shorter time.
(Not to mention the production rate increase from a short exposure
cycle.)
- What Scott Kivi mentions about cooling is important, too.  Look for
high a/c BTUs and a well-controlled air flow over the exposure plane.

Send me e-mail if you want to discuss anything else.

- Scott Thompson