TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:50:05 +0000
Hi Howard-

Thanks for the amusing photographs!

This is a joke, right? I mean, that picture of the second part looks like it
was sitting on the road, and had gotten run over about a dozen times. I
don't understand why the leads seem "kind of" straight, but they are enough
out of line that I still consider the "road theory" viable.

The first picture reveals that the parts were put together with something
crappy. I would like to see shattered glass when the seal breaks! These look
like some kind of mal-cured epoxy. Probably there is a hermeticity spec
these are supposed to meet and, if you need an excuse to reject them, try
doing fine and gross leak tests.

I'm thinking counterfeit, or rather, product that was rejected by the
original packaging house which found its way somehow into the brokers
market. I know, the manufacturer deflected a decision, but I suspect you are
unable to trace the lineage of these parts back to an authorized
distributor, right?

Wayne Thayer