Date:
Wed, 15 May 96 17:14:50 PST
     We tried pH and found that the pH didn't seem a good indicator of how
     "used up" the saponifier was.  Point is that a saponifier works by
     chemically binding to the soil and thus eventually is used up.  pH and
     acid titration were tried and neither successful.  (Note both worked
     fine on "new" solutions, but couldn't discriminate between a 10%
     solution that was "saturated" with rosin and a new 10% solution).
     Acid titration's problem was the acid used was more "active" than the
     flux and "stripped" the saponifier from the soil so it would always
     "found it" even when the wash wasn't active anymore.

     Best solution (assuming a reasonably constant product flow) is to
     determine max. allowable loading by experience (beaker level testing)
     and then "model" the # PWA or hours you can run between changeouts.
     (make sure you account for dragout losses and automakeup if used).

     In our case our PWA load rate varied widely so our best success was a
     combination of a) monitoring concentration by refractometer (worked OK
     on "newer" materials, more sensitive than pH and easier to use than
     acid titration) combined with a visual comparison to a sample showing
     maximum allowable flux load that the operators would look at.  Method
     was to sample the solution in a glass vial (they'd "fish" a sample
     out), compare by eye with "saturated" sample and if cleaner check
     saponifier level w/refractometer (for losses due to dragout).  If it
     was "dirtier" (darker/cloudy) than the max. allowable they'ld dump.
     If you really like numerical data on "dirtiness", a nephelometer can
     accomplish this for you.

     Call if you have questions.

     Jim Maguire
     Senior Principal Engineer