Date:
Thu, 09 May 96 17:07:05 CST

     Ralph,

     As usual you've come through.

     Although, I understand your points well and can't disagree with
     you, I'm still not sure I can totally agree.

     This "won't disagree but not really agree" stand comes from a
     couple of observations:

     1. That the telegraph equations get split up into "high
        frequency" and "low frequency" equations depending upon
        assumptions that retain or remove different parameters from
        the complete equations, i.e. removing some of these parameters
        from these equations allow one to study/predict results in
        coax cables as I'm sure you're well aware.  And, one can
        "lump" parameters successfully for coax.  But, I'm using the
        same procedure for the case of a trace.

     2. In my model, the units for resistance, inductance, and
        capacitance are "per length".  To extend the length of the
        trace, I would not "cascade" the parameters as in adding more
        sections of a filter network. (I don't know, but does Spice do
        this in modeling?) The individual parameters only become
        larger.

     3. This is a 1 inch trace.  Not feet of wire.

     4. Finally, I can't believe that the trace DOES NOT act as a
        low pass filter no matter what school or books have showed me
        about transmission lines.

     As stated by someone off line, frequency problems above 800 MHz
     are well documented with FR-4.  This forces me to believe I'm on
     to "something".  Yes, I agree with what you say about lumped
     parameters versus distributed parameters, but even worst case
     rough estimating tells me I'm near "something".

     I guess if I were to be tacked against the wall, I'd have to say
     OK.  But, that still won't help me.

     Doug McKean, ADC Video, [log in to unmask]

     _________________________________ Subject: DES-PC Board Frequency
     Limi