TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:50:32 -0400
I can't resist Guy, with the all due respect, you struck a nerve and I could
provide a long dissertation but I will only hit the highlights.  For a true
understanding of 610, read the scope and purpose, which are pretty much self
explanatory.
We all know what happens when you "asssume".
Therefore, one should require conformance to the full gambit of specs/stds
covering design, fabrication, documentation, assembly, acceptability and
rework/repair dependent on product class.  Conformance to these documents
does not guarantee an acceptable product nor does it "qualify" a product.
These documents minimize the risk of attaining an acceptable, reliable,
fieldable product.  ("...it sure looked good, I got the C of C and all the
other paperwork, but I don't understand how it smoked after I turned it
on...")
To "qualify" the product is another subject unrelated to this topic.  But,
it all depends on how much the user is willing to pay and how well the user
defines the product requirements.
I believe you would be hard pressed in the real world to have class 1
product and some class 2 product manufacturers buy into your logic.  These
mfr's rely on the end product acceptability (does it look good enough)
requirements of 610 and use best manufacturing practices to achieve that
end.