From:
simon.ipc.org!pbni.attmail.com!PBN!PBN1!JMcGee (John McGee)
Date:
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 18:10:00 +0000

Greetings, folks-

We make a highly mixed group of products, incorporating mixed - surface
mount and through hole - technology, some densly populated, some not so
dense, some high volume, some very quiet....uh, you get the point.

We're trying to eliminate some cut and clinch operations wherever practical.
Ideally, we'd like to just install "straight thru" - no preformed leads or
the like.

One of our more common bugaboos is the natural spring-back of air or core
wound inductors, common to our RF line of products.  If their lead spacing
isn't pretty darn close to the hole spacing and they are then assembled
without a full or partial clinch, they have a tendency to float to various
heights,
relative to the PC board seating plane, during the wave solder process.

...What to do, what to do?...
Then, while leafing through IPC-CM-770, Figures 21-2 and 21-4 on page 85,
caught my eye.
Hmmm....hadn't considered BLISTER PACK before....just maybe...

* Has anyone out there in TechNetLand had any experiences -good or bad-
with blister pack used in this application, that you wouldn't mind relating?
* What are some of the drawbacks you've seen?
* Are there a wide variety of blister packing machines out there,
appropriate to electronic assembly?
* Are there accomodations for static sensitive devices?
* If I need control of the mounting height of some of the parts on my
assemblies
within  1.0mm (.04") of the board surface (w/o spacers), is that too much to
ask
of such equipment?  How about 1.5mm (.05") or 2.0mm (.08")?

All and any input is appreciated.  Thanks!