Date:
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 12:49:13 -0500
Bill Hunt wrote:

> Has anybody had any success wave soldering 50 mil pitch through hole
> connectors? Or has anybody had any success reflow soldering a hi
> temperature 50 mil pitch connector? We have insufficient solder joints
> when the connectors are reflowed and bridging if the connector is wave
> soldered.

	IMHO, these connectors get to you because too many engineers
	select them and too few designers head them off before it is
	too late.  Visibility to the whole product is the problem.

	I've been arguing against them for quite some time, as I saw
	most implementations get designed back out several years ago.
	Instead I suggest either 2mm pitch, which I've seen get through
	wave with the use of thieving, or surface mounted equivalents.
	There are also .050" x .050" staggered/interstitial pitch
	parts that work just fine.

	In hand soldered environments they are okay.  Rumors persist
	about sucess with reflow-in-hole but I've only heard situations
	like yours.  Other suggestions have been solder-fountain but
	once again that part got revised out before that was proven.

	I've seen many core design problems with these connectors,
	such as poor assumptions about how to get a wire between pins
	and voiding of power/ground planes wrecking signal returns or
	distribution.  My belief is that the fabrication community
	has just as much fun with them as you are having.

	Sorry my news is bad, hope someone with success in reflow can
	post and get us *all* a way to deal with these darn parts.

	Good luck, and best regards,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879