Date:
Wed, 22 May 96 08:39:05 CST

          Barry,

          I would be careful with taking your discussion below to
          heart.  Your equation for frequency is actually a Bandwidth
          equation.  Granted, if your calculating the HIGHEST
          frequency of the bandwidth, that's fine.  But, frequency
          does play a significant role in the "impedance" that one
          wants.  Ask anyone dealing with board constructions with FR4
          above 800 MHz.

          Also, your assumption is that all the frequencies required
          for the transition time are in sync with one another (from
          Fourier).  Bad assumption.  Group delays and shifts in phase
          based on frequency are only part of what will determine the
          actual outcome.  At best, you'll get a smeared edge at fast
          edge rates.

          When board construction for controlled impedance is most
          important, there's a whole other side to controlled
          impedance that can get nasty.

          doug