From:
"Yuen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 03 Jul 96 11:09:00 CDT

What is the recommended thickness of sliver plating?? How thin is too
thin????

Blue Smurf
 ----------
From: TechNet-request
To: IPC Technet
Subject: FWD>RE>Silver Plating over
Date: Wednesday, July 03, 1996 7:17AM

Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>RE>Silver Plating over Copper

To all:

I agree with all the things Dave mentioned and would like to add the
following:

Silver (Ag) plating is frequently used in sensitive rf (radio frequency) and
other high frequency/speed applications.  Ag is used for two main purposes;
first due to "skin effect", silver is one of the better conductors, and
because most electrical current flow is in the outer surfaces of conductors
(where the greatest electrical field intensity and currents are) and Ag is
one
of the best.  The other reason is because most Ag compounds and oxides are
electrically conductive, in contrast to Cu's which are generally poor
electrical conductors.  With the exception of gold, most other surface
platings and coating (solder, etc) are lousy conductors and are seldom used
for serious high frequency/speed applications.  If the design is for
microstrip lines, then the Ag plating will be less effective at very high
frequencies >~1 GHz because most of the electrical current flow is between
the
surface of the microstrip that is adjacent to the signal reference (ground)
plane and not on the "outer" surface of the microstrip.

Ralph Hersey