TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Jim Herard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:49:45 -0400
The test you need to run depends upon your coupons.

For example, the dip test is good for smt, the rotary dip is for PIH product.
I recommend these two over the wetting balance testing.

Both of these tests call for a flux that is far more aggressive than most assy
processes use, and therefore the tests are quite out of date, its time we (ipc
members) took another look at them.

These tests will sniff out gross problems.  If you think you have a more
marginal condition, I recommend a paste a reflow process;  Here's what I
usually have done;  Create the stencil the assy site will use for paste apply
(smt product).  Stencil a no clean or water soluble fluxed paste down.  Reflow
using the appropriate oven profile (IR Reflow),   This test is more realistic,
though it does have some problems/limitations of its own. In its benefit it is
STATIC, (ie solder doesn't move -- more like smt assy process) and flux is less
aggressive.

Actually, in practice, you'll find the results are either good or bad, there
doesn't tend to be much "interpretation".   Either the features have a nice
smooth bright uniform coating of solder, or they have something "strange".
Anything less than perfect is worthy of understanding and investigation

IF you fail these tests chances are your assembly site is doing a lot of
touchup , and you've been lucky not to get a complaint yet.

Hope this helps some

Jim Herard
IBM Microelectronics
Quality Engineering