From:
Tony King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
19 Jun 96 08:25:40 EDT
======== Original Message ========
Sender: [log in to unmask]
From: "John Gully" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:51:27 +600 CDT
Subject: FAB: Double Treated Copper

Address,

We have a rep from EIS that is trying to sell us some Double
Treated Copper (aka Trick-o-Treat Copper).  As with anything there
are pro's and con's to materials.  I am slightly familiar with
some of these pro's and con's of double treated copper, based on
past readings.  What I do know about it:

1.  It eliminates Black oxide and Chemical/Mechnical Scrubbing
    process
2.  Resist adhesion is improved due to the copper topography
3.  Handling parameters are increased prior to resist lamination
    (since there is no cleaning process prior)
4.  There are difficulties in AOI-ing the layers
5.  Prepreg adhesion is improved at the lamination stage
6.  Is it true that new equipment is needed to process this
    material?  EIS says no, but others I spoken with say yes.
7.  Is oxide necessary when processing double treated polyimide
    layers.  RBO (Atotech) is a recommended oxide for polyimide
    layers and improves prepreg adhesion?
8.  etc.,

Please add any additional information you may have that can help
in our evaluation.  We have some double treated samples that we
will be testing soon.  Thank you in advance.

John Gulley - PE
Dallas, TX
======== Fwd by: Tony King / N ========
John,

I have evaluated this material in the past,  the single most important
factor in processing this material seems to be the ability to etch it
uniformly. This can be improved by removing the double treat coating after
develop prior to etching of the core. I am not using this material in my
process at present, however if I do use it in the future, I would probably
put a mild microetch in line with the developer and make the double treat
coating removal transparant to the process.

Tony King
Elexsys International Inc.
Nashua N.H.
603-886-0066