From:
"Yuen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 96 09:47:00 CDT

I agree with you guys that there is definitely nothing wrong with scoring at
all. Here are some insights I have on this subject.

* The V-grooves can be placed as close to the edge as possible, as long as
the grooves don't  interfere with the copper image. (0.05" between boards is
mostly preferred)

* Usually, the absolute minimum clearance was determined by the thickness of
the board and the score web required.
Here is the equation: (Assume 60 degree Max. V-groove)
Absolute minimum required between boards =1.732 x (board thickness-web
thickness) + (0.02"<= adjustable safety factor)

F.Y.I. Typical web thickness 0.015" +/- 0.004 for 0.062" thick  board

* For over-hang  SMT or PTH components, pre-route at those locations can be
done to prevent interference.

* In my opinion, solder joint cracking should not occur if the right tools
and extra precaution are used in the depanelization process.

Thanks,

Michael Yuen