TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (John Laur)
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:42:40 -0600
> Hi John,
> I'm sorry, but i disagree with you on one thing. Of course if your'e
> adding "robber pads" and rotate the ic 90 deg it sure work without
> getting any bridging.
> But if you can't add any pads? Then i would do as i described using a
> chip-wave, ofcourse, in a nitrogen wave solderer. I it find most logical
> to run the ic with standard pads this way, then ofcourse i don't have
> alot of experience in soldering smt with a wave solderer, but i've been
> there.
>
> Jan Merstrand
> Wave Soldering Technician

Jan,

Our process engineers tested multiple land patterns and orientations
and came to the conclusion that I had listed.  The pad sizes for our
wave solder library are different than for reflow.  In other words
they optimized.  You may be correct in that standard reflow pads in
the orientation you described is less prone to skips and/or bridging.

Someone else have an opinion?

John Laur
Rockwell Automation
Allen-Bradley Co Inc.