From:
Fred Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:27:28 -0700
Mr. Willard,

	It is my understanding that a black oxide process that is not well controlled may
promote excess dendritic growth of the (oxide) crystalline structure.  The longer crystals are more
likey to break off during the lamination process due to shear stresses related to the parameters of
the resin system interacting with the micro obstructions of the copper thickness and the etched
design AND the stability and flatness of the platens of the press.

	At the sites of the broken dendrites there is an increased probability of micro voids
which, when intersected by a drilled hole, would promote excess wicking of electroless copper
(and/or other chemicals in the process stream).  This condition can result in blow holes, voids,
and/or pink ring.  It can also shorten the life of the PCB by creating a lateral path to adjacent
uncommon conductors, which will ultimately result in electrical shorts when filled with certain
chemicals that promote a conductive dendritic growth.  Each step of the process that subjects
the PCB to thermal or mechanical stress can increase the chance of this occurring.

Fred J. Paul, Sr. Process Engineer
PCB Operations, FLUKE CORPORATION
direct:  206 356-5734  fax:  206 356-6070