From:
"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
4 Nov 1996 10:39:12 -0400
Message Body (125 lines)
                      RE>>OSP Coating                              11/4/96

Our experience with the need to completely dry prior to packaging is the same as yours, but our experience with dip tanks vs. in-line processes differs.  We've had much better success with the former.

Some general comments:
-We've used multiple reflow OSPs (several types) for nearly 3 years now with considerable success.  We adopted them because of soldering process problems with CBGA devices, and this change was instrumental to the success of a major program.
-The implementation of bare copper boards wasn't a drop-in process for us.  We had to work on learning about storage, handling, processing, workmanship standards, and inspection issues.  (As with all technologies, I suppose, the advertised claims tend to "stretch" the truth in areas!)
-I firmly believe that OSPs provide for a more reliable product, mainly because of the elimination of HASL thermal shocks and reduced amounts of ionic contamination.
-We've only had one customer acceptance issue, and that customer was receptive to the change after learning more about the technology.

For what it's worth:  our products are generally double-sided SMT or mixed technology, they're assembled with water soluble chemistries, and the final applications are mainly in high performance defense and medical markets.

Regards,
Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA