From:
"Randy Johnson (Loveland)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 02 Oct 96 15:10:00 PDT

I would appreciate any comments anyone has on PLCC device low profile socket
reliability.

Vibration and Shock levels specified for our equipment are typically:

Shock:
      (30g 11ms Half Sine pulse)

Vibration:
     13-100 Hz @ 1.0 G  Ten sweeps at one octave per minute

The vibration spec for the socket is 10 G 10-500 Hz.

Arguments rage internally over the reliability of the connection.  We have
only employed the sockets temporarily early in the product life cycle to
accommodate software updates, and then directly soldered  the parts when
changes settle down.  We currently use a type with an open bottom which
helps with soldering and cleaning.  We haven't had any field complaints yet
and don't have any real complaints from manufacturing except that the
masking is a pain for conformal coat.   Life testing really isn't feasible
at this point.   Are these sort of sockets commonly used?

Thanks

Randy Johnson
Reliability Engineer
Woodward Governor Company