TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Frank Hinojos)
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:17:53 -0700
     David,

     Test fixtures can be modified so that vacuum is not required but it is
     costly, requires additional tooling, and is not standard with the test
     equipment.  I have seen companies solder paste the vias so that they
     fill and plug during assembly refow but have seen inconsistancies in
     plug and via-fill height.  It can also cause solder to drop through
     the via causing solder bumps (or balls depending on the far-side via
     pad geometry) which hang on the far side and can cause vacuum problems
     as well.

     Test is not the only issue for via plugging.  We require flatness on
     ground areas of the boards which have ground via arrays on them.  The
     resulting solder bumps during reflow or wave solder cause problems in
     test and in assembly (emi enclosures, chassis mating, etc.).

     Frank Hinojos
     Watkins-Johnson Co.