TECHNET Archives

May 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, N Burtt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 11:43:48 -0500
There is a tendency to blame all manner of bad things on RoHS, but facts are
things do break and consumer products are not as reliable as they once were.

The majority of faults we see are not new problems associated with Pb-free
soldering, but old friends of assembly defects that come back to haunt us
again from past days of SnPb soldering, re-excited by the narrower process
windows. That said, so far (touchwood), carefully monitoring any and all
customer returns since converting certain professional products to RoHS
versions as we were required to do, we have not seen any downward trend in
reliability due to the conversion.

Japan adopted "lead-free" before RoHS impacted, but without the parts that
could survive the higher soldering temperatures, the assemblies would be a
mixture of Pb-free and Pb parts, and other alloys with lower melting points
were used, not good old SAC and SnCu.
If anything it would be these early lifetime Pb-free products we should be
expecting to be WEEE long ago and current output to be just as reliable as we
have always expected consumer electronics to be....

Which means, in our throwaway society when the laptop PC, PDA or cellphone
you buy is already superceded by a better, faster, more fully-featured model
the moment you open the box at home, just getting enough reliability to make
it last through the warranty period may be good enough to keep a market
reputation for good build quality, since you'll want (or be persuaded to want)
the next model by then.