From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 96 16:27:20 cst
     Hi Jeff -

     We have been using nitrogen in our wave, reflow and rework stations
     for over a year and been very satisfied with the results. Why did we
     switch to it? It allows the use of very benign, low residue fluxes
     that don't handle air environments very well and it aids in the
     soldering of fine pitch components by altering the surface tension of
     the solder. I don't believe that we get a "better" solder joint just
     because of the inert gas - the design factors are more important. The
     gas is a consumable and will increase the assembly processing costs
     but you have to weigh that against the process yields. I have heard
     that some people are now going away from nitrogen as the low residue
     fluxes keep improving. Good luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins