TECHNET Archives

December 2002

From:
Mark Charlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:35:31 -0500
John,

The more accuracy you use at your stage, the better it is for us manufacturing types.  I like to see 4-decimal place accuracy because this data can be used for assembly machine programming and stencil design.  I have run into a "rounding" error many times that can cause inconsistency in the artwork.  For example, most QFP packages are spec'd in mm.  What is commonly referred to as a 20mil QFP is actually a 0.5mm lead pitch package.  That equates to 19.68mils but with 3-place accuracy, rounding occurs making the PCB layout a variable with 20mil (0.020") mixed with an occasional 19mil (0.019") pad-to-pad spacing.  That 4th decimal place accuracy lets the pads be spaced evenly at 19.7mils (0.0197") which more closely matches the actual device being placed.  Assuming a 12mil pad, you typically have about 7.7mils space between the pads.  With this type of variation you end up with spacing (between the pads) down to 7mils on the compromised (19mil spacing) pads.

One of the principle things manufacturing engineers try to eliminate is variations and this example is a variation we cannot control unless we communicate these ideas to the designers early in the design phase.

As many say, just my $0.02 (USD) worth.

Mark