TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Luis Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 06:00:00 CDT
In the last few weeks, we have had a few customers ask about boards
with copper-invar-copper cores used in their construction.

A few years ago, while working at another PCB fab facility, I used to
hear that the CIC cores themselves where difficult to obtain, and
that once a source was secured, that it was difficult to work with
the CIC material. Comments were made as to the lamination, drilling
and plating processes not being trivial when CIC substrates were
introduced into the picture.

Recently, I have heard that aramid dielectrics are an easier
alternative to fabricating boards that match the X-Y CTE of ceramics.

Is it still difficult to obtain CIC cores? Can anyone offer comments
on what it takes to get into the CIC business? Are aramid materials
indeed easier to pursue?

Thanks,

Luis Rivera
CompuRoute, Inc.