Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:36:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We are purchasing an automated machine to do paste inspection of SMT
solder paste prints after the printing operation.  Within the next few
weeks we are going for an in-plant machine acceptance and are in the
process of outlining our acceptance criteria.

The first, and obvious test is to do a series of measurements against
a slug of known volume (NIST certified) - the vendor can supply this.

We are also thinking of doing accuracy and repeatiblilty testing on a
custom substrate we have yet to design.  I envision this being the maximum
board size the machine can accept (18" X 22") with known volume slugs
positioned at various locations across the substrate.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Any ideas on the most efficient
method of designing this experimental board (one thing we thought of
is cutting up a stencil foil to specific dimensions and gluing them
to the 18 X 22 piece of G10)?

Any other ideas on machine acceptance criteria for solder paste inspection?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Tom Olafsson
Teradyne Inc.