TECHNET Archives

August 2019

From:
Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2019 14:36:23 -0400
Hi Graham and TechNet

There are five key variables in dipping. Immersion speed, dwell time,
withdrawal speed, viscosity and angle of circuit board being immersed.

The immersion can be critical for entrapping air. If in doubt slower is
better when immersing the board.

Dwell time is to do with penetration under components of coating. Most
boards dont need a dwell time but again consider it especially if you have
a high viscosity material or must get full coverage under components.

The viscosity and withdrawal speed are tied together. The faster you pull
the coating out of the material the more / thicker the coating. Think spoon
in treacle. Pull it out fast and you get a lot. Slow it down and you dont
get a big dollop of coating. Viscosity is also linked to how much coating
is left on the board. The more viscous the coating is the more time you
need to drain the coating off. Ideally you want to avoid a cascade effect
where the coating falls off in big lumps after withdrawal. Typical speeds
are 6-12 inches per minute but is viscosity dependent. Refer to the coating
manufacturer on their recommendations.

Finally angle of immersion can be critical. You can dip horizontally,
vertically or a combination. It's just important to consider draining,
pooling, entrapment and the other factors such as viscosity and speed of
withdrawal.

If you need any further advice specifically on the material you're
proposing to use just contact me off line and we can talk.

Best Regards

Dr Lee Hitchens

SCH Technologies is a Division of SCH Services Limited

Mob: +44 (0) 7862 25 33 21

www.conformalcoating.co.uk
Skype: leehitchens

TECHNICAL SUPPORT SERVICE

SCH Services Ltd offers a Technical Support Helpline to help address all
issues relating to reliability. This includes contamination testing,
cleanliness and cleaning issues, plus any coating related questions.

Please contact us via email or telephone:

[log in to unmask]   +44 (0)1226 249019 (office hours &
answerphone)   +44 (0)7862 253321(out-of-hours emergency)

The opinions expressed in this e-mail are strictly those of the sender and
not of SCH Services Limited. This communication may contain information
which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure
of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient(s)
please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or
the information in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error please notify us by e-mail or by telephone (+44
(0)1226 249019) and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it. Virus
Warning - Although steps have been taken to ensure that all email and
attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee nor be held liable.

Company Registration: 04043334

Registered office: SCH Services Limited Newburgh Building McLintock Way
Barnsley South Yorkshire S70 6BF