From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
29 Aug 1996 09:44:45 -0700
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>PCB Grid Boards: Source?

Hi Matt,

Do they need to be plastic???

In our printed board manufacturing facility, we had the same problem, for
boards in the range of 3-6 mm (0.125-0.25 inch) for both "racking storage" in
the manufacturing facility and for "baking" for solder resist and screen
printed markings.  In our processing, we leave the printed boards "panelized"
until just prior to final inspection.

We designed and fabricated our own set of metal racks.  Because our
Electronics Manufacturing Group is a "full-service" electronics packaging
facility, we have our own N/C sheet metal punching capability.  We punched a
series of what's called obround holes (a rectangular hole with full radius
ends) to punch out the holes on the desired board pitch, then we did two right
angle bends and we had a channel-like structure for supporting the boards. The
following is a crude drawing of the holder.

_______________________________________________  _________
|                |              |              |
|___________                          _________|  As long as
 ___________)    |              |    (_________
|                                              |  you need/
|___________     |              |     _________|
 ___________)                        (_________   Want
|                |              |              |
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ |__________

|<--~18 mm->|    | About 50 mm  |
                 | Less than    |
                 | the width of |
                 | the PB       |
90 degree fold ->|------------->|
lines

If marring of the board surfaces is a concern, we placed two layers of a clear
heat shrinkable sleeving around the "tangs" between the slots to provide a
"cushoned" non-marring surface.

Hope this helps in case if nobody else has a possible source, you might
consider fabricating you own.

Ralph Hersey

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/28/96 10:49 AM
From: [log in to unmask]
     We are looking for a source for PCB grid boards.  These are plastic
     waffle boards with grooves used to stand up individual circuits.

     We have a source for grid boards with 0.070" slot widths, but need
     something wider for other parts.  There is only the one part
     available from our existing source.  I am looking for something that
     has a width of about 0.150".  I don't think that I can be too choosy
     about the slot width, as long as it is at least 0.135"

     Matt Byrne