TECHNET Archives

October 1999

From:
Kathy Palumbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:17:33 -0700
Steve,

Data collection can be a very valuable thing, provided it is specific enough
to guide you in the right direction for problem solving.  After all that is
what true SPC is about.

Before one can properly set-up SPC, one must measure the processes
capability to bench mark the current processes being used.  There are many
different tools available for this.  The "Memory Jogger for SPC" breifly
lists a large majority of these tools.  Once you have your processes bench
marked you will know exactly where your problem areas are and what kind of
data needs to be collected.

We usually start in RMA and Rework.  The defect codes are very specific, and
when "other" is used too many times we review the defect codes again to see
what defect code needs to be added to the list.  We have even gone as far as
bagging and tagging defective parts for further evaluation to determine what
type of defect code should be used for that particular failure.  This is a
never ending process.  The defect code list grows quickly at first, and then
levels off slowly.

Once we have this information we take the highest detractor and look at each
process to see what has caused these defects.  Using the DOT STAR approach
we begin our problem solving process.  D - Define the problem, O - Observe
the problem/process, T - Think of possible solutions, S - Select a solution,
T - Test the solution, A - Act on the solution (implement), R - Review the
solution.  During the Act portion of the problem solving process we usually
leave an SPC chart behind.  This allows us to go back and quickly review the
process to ensure it is still in control and the solution we implemented has
a positive affect.

To just throw SPC charts out on the manufacturing floor, will buy you
nothing.  I have two years worth of worthless data to prove this.  Sure the
charts will show you your sporadic spikes, but they will never address the
chronic failures.  The sporadic spikes are easy to fix, and we have all had
years of pratice at fine tuning our fire fighting skills.  It is the chronic
problems that are the hard ones to fix.  The constant 6% failure rate that
we build our entire manufacturing processes around.  These are the problems
you want to attack, and you will need much more than SPC charts to do it.

The Winsconsin University Continuing Education program offers the following
training programs (through Chad Cullen with the Internationl Quality
Institute at (916) 933-2318).
"Reducing Process Variations (Using the DOT STAR approach)
"Measuring Process Capabilities"
"SPC for Short Run Production"

These are great training classes, and will give you a head start on your
journey through the continuous improvement process.

Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Kathy Palumbo
Manufacturing Engineer