From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:28:05 -0700
John Laur wrote:
> What is preferred from the fabricators point of view:
>
> One drill files containing both plated and non-plated holes?
>                            or
> Two drill files one plated the other non-plated?

On a related note, many design texts suggest using unplated .125
tooling holes on every design, but our lead designer here wants
to try to make ALL HOLES PLATED on our designs because he heard
that it saves processing steps. When I asked a board vendor about
it, he said it USED to be true that more steps were needed for
designs with unplated holes, but not anymore.

There are designs where I need unplated holes, no matter how much
more difficult it is for the fab house, but other designs could
go either way (no tooling holes on hand-assembled boards, for
example). Does it really make a difference to the fabricators?

Also, I have never heard of sending two drill files... do people
really do that?

confused by too many opinions and no facts...		Jack

(p.s. I hope nobody minds the carbon copy to the DesignerCouncil,
since I'm sure they would be interested in your responses)