From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:39:45 -0600 (CST)
Gary:

First a definition for the uninitiated:

"Popcorning" is the phenomenon that occurs when moisture is
absorbed by the plastic housing of the component (typically ICs and BGAs,
but also known to occur in plastic discretes and SMT connectors). This
causes the critical surfaces (e.g., die attach regions, any wire bonding
surface of the lead frame/die paddle, the top surface of the chip, etc.)
to delaminate.

(When this occurs the component package often resembles a piece of
popcorn, hence the name. Pat McCloskey at University of Maryland's CALCE
has a video that shows a component delaminating; it's interesting to see.)

The potential result is circuit failure of the component, either
immediately or over time. Emphasis on the word "potential"; Matt Doty at
Amkor and Willie Reynolds at Texas Instruments have significant amounts
of data indicating that there is no one-to-one correlation between part
delamination and part failure.

Component manufacturers that use IPC-SM-786A, JESD A112, or the about-
to-be-published joint IPC-JEDEC spec J-STD-020 are required by those
specs to specify a level (1-6) of part susceptibility to moisture.
Parts classified to level 1 may be stored outside in South Florida;
those classified to level 6 have a mandatory bake cycle, and then must be
reflowed within a period of time as specified by the component manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, most parts fall somewhere in-between. My own
unscientific surveys indicate that most assemblers store parts at level 2
or 3, with a few particularly sensitive parts stored at level 5.

The industry goal is to get all parts to level 2 by next year, which will
take some doing (improved materials, usually which come with higher costs) but
in my opinion is achievable. This would permit an assembler, for example,
to leave parts out (of bag or other medium such as a nitrogen storage
cabinet) for one year (!) at </=30C / 60%RH.

I don't have a copy of the spec in front of me (contact Doug Sandvick at
IPC for specifics), but can say that other measures besides baking are
possible. Try using moisture barrier bags packed with dessicant (this is
permissible for Levels 1-5; Level 6 is a mandatory bake) instead of
baking. There will be some costs associated with the bags and material,
of course, but then you'll probably avoid the downtime involved while
recalibrating the oven to 125C and baking the parts for 24 hours. (A
low temperature bake condition is permitted in the IPC spec--192 hours
(!!) at 40 +5/-0 C.)

Mike Buetow
IPC Communications Manager
2215 Sanders Road