From:
"Gita Khadem" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 96 17:17:47 CST
     There is nothing wrong with scoring and a proper panelization and
     scoring/routing can result in major PWB cost savings.
     You just have to determine in advance how the boards will be
     depanalized in production and design in the required criteria at the
     PWB level up front.
     If production plans on using equipment to depanel (punch, V-blade,
     etc.), then you need to know the component placement keep outs
     required around the edges of the board to clear the blades as well as
     component height restriction,etc.
     If boards are broken by hand, then DO NOT place any component close to
     the edge since solder joints will get damaged. As Gary has indicated
     below, the board dimension is not appropriate for breaking by hand and
     I don't even know if there is enough room on the board (1/2" X 10") to
     move components away from the edges for a punch equipment.

Leo,

There are equipment out there (Pizza cutter!!) designed to depanel V-grooved
board. The V-blade used in those equipment will minimize bending stress
inflicted on the PCB to minimum.
(BTW,try to reduce the groove web to 0.015" if possible)

Yuen