From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:44:20 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Al Slagle wrote:

1.> Is it up to IPC and the PCB fab industry to prove that boards made
with these
> .001-.002 wide traces and "micro-vias" are truely reliable and reproduceable?

It is up to the industry to provide reliability data for these or any
other changes to existing specifications. IPC's policy is that standards
be based on empirical industry data.

2. > As we now understand, the military is leaning towards using IPC-D-275,
etc....

It's official. The Department of Defense cancelled MIL-STD-275 in July,
naming IPC-D-275 as its replacement.

3. > Will IPC now change it's proceedures to accept this latest push?
>  * Will aspect ratios change?
>  * Will mfg process tolerances change?

See 1. above. IPC-D-275 in undergoing a revision, and as such any of its
contents are open to input and change. Dieter Bergman of IPC will hold a
series of workshops over the next three months to solicit input to the
new standard. Workshop dates are as follows (call IPC at 847-509-9700,
ext. 313 to register):

Site		Date
Baltimore	1/24
Raleigh		1/25