Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 08:00:15 -0800 (PST)
On 29 Oct at 1459, [log in to unmask] wrote "Was wondering if anyone
would be familiar with any information on Health and Safety issues for
handling Solder Paste for operators who are working on the machine..."

I suggest you check the Material Data Safety Sheet (NSDS) for the brand of
solder paste being used.  The MSDS should be available where the solder
paste is being used and is available from the solder paste manufacturer.
Both US OSHA and Canada WHMIS require that employees be trained how to use a
MSDS aas a source for hazard information. The MSDS talks to both the lead
and the flux used in solder paste.

The MSDS for the Solder Paste we use in our training center covers
Firefighting Procedures (selfcontained breathing apparatus),and. Reactivity
Hazard data including decomposition products (solvents are evaporated:
thermal degradation leaves aliphatic aldehydes and acids.  No lead is
detected in fumes from soldering below 1000 degrees F) and incompatibility
with strong oxidizers and aids. It also discusses Health Hazard data for
both the lead and the flux in the solder paste,  gviing the effects,
emergency first aid data.  This is followed by procedures for material
control, protective methods (gloves, glasses, respirators if inadequate
ventilation.)

Hope this will be useful--it's just a quick summary and you should check
your own MSDS.  The MSDS is certainly a good starting point.

Regards Doug Whitnell
We can be reached at:            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Manufacturing Technology Training Center (MTTC), Inc
543 Graaf Street                     Phone 619 446-5571
Ridgecrest CA 93555              Fax  619 446-4337
Home Page: http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~mttc/mttc.htm
Bulletin Board: 619 446-4087