TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"Dhawan, Ashok CA-WINPO2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 97 02:14:00 GMT

I  am also interested in PIP. AMP has one article on this ([log in to unmask]).
Please provide info.
At present we are evaluating possibility of PIP on a board with 10 layers
and thickness of 0.162 inches. It has got SMT -chips, tantulums . The
through holes are connectors 80 positions . The SMT parts are glued and
soldering at wave.
The tant caps are blowing off after wave solder operation and one of
alternate to bypass wave solder is intrusive reflow. however am having
doubts on PIP while conn is sitting upside down. Also board being thick ,
supply of solder paste on connector (100 mil spacing staggered-that leaves
little space for solder paste) is another big issue. solder may tend to flow
down further on leads.
Any suggestion?

We are also separately looking at possibility of selective soldering to
avoid direct contact of tantulum caps to wave.

My many thanks to all the respondents on Blowwing off caps ...The problem is
still in hunting stage. shall share info once we get hold of the problem.