Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 96 10:19:55 EDT
vnet.IBM.COM unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
550 Unable to find A records for any MX sites for the recipient host.

           ** Text of Mail follows **
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 10:19:53 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
To:   [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tin-lead plating thickness

From: Kelly Kovalovsky, PCB Engineering
~     EMail:[log in to unmask]

We specify on the print that the HASL thickness must be in the range
of 80 to 1500 microinches.

We require that all product be processed through horizontal hot air
solder level equipment and that it be rotated 45 degrees to minimize
directional affects on features. We request that the supplier target a
mean of 250 to 375 microinches with a standard deviation of 125
microinches.

We try to stay away from any HASL on fine pitch (0.020" pitch or less)
cards. We seldom have problems on anything with greater than 0.020"
pitch. Not an ideal process for fine pitch SMT, but I believe that
your card supplier should be able to control his process so as to
overcome the problem that you describe.

Data that I recently saw from production lots of a card with 0.020"
pitch SMT showed lot means ranging from 500 microinches to 1000
microinches. The standard deviation was typically 200 microinches. The
measurements were taken from the solder crest of the fine pitch pads.

IBM Microelectronics Division
1701 North Street IMAD:FKFE
Endicott, NY  13760
*** Forwarding note from SMTP4   --IINUS1   09/25/96 09:03 ***