From:
"John Gully" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:00:47 +600 CDT
Address,

EXPLANATION:

I have been conducting some experiments on the use of mechanical
and chemical scrubbing on panels prior to resist lamination.  We
currently perform a mechanical scrub to all panels prior to resist
lamination.

Based on minimal testing, we are successful in chemical cleaning
panels prior to resist lamination with no resist breakdown in
deep electrolytic Ni and Au.  However, in the test process
we conducted a tape test and discovered NiAu peel from the base
copper (no electrolytic copper applied due to reason of test).

The NiAu peel from the copper occurs on mechanical scrubbed
and chemical clean sample panels, but on different sides.  The
mechanical scrubbed panel has peel on the component side and the
chemical clean panel has peel on the solder side.

So the problem now points to the method in which we prepare
panels prior to Ni and Au plating.  To insure good adhesion
between Ni-copper and Au-Ni, panels are manually scrubbed with an
abrasive pad.  Recent observation shows there is a large
variable associated with this type of method.

QUESTION:

-I would like to discuss with other manufacturers who use deep
 Ni and Au plating?

-What types of methods are others using to prep panels prior
 to Ni and Au plating?

-Is the method chemical or mechanical and if mechanical how are
 variables minimized?

Please advise.  Thank you.