From:
[log in to unmask] ( Kevin Seaman )
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 96 07:11:28 PDT
TechNet,

HOWZITGOIN?

Tim Mascorella wrote:

> I have a question about one of the ways you can establish polarity for a
> diode/board application.  Some people tell me it is the convention to mark
> the cathode side of a diode with a square pad on the circuit board, while
> others say the convention is just the opposite.  Which is it, and is there a
> specification which mandates one or the other?

My personal opinion is to put a mark on the board that matches the marking
on the part (regardless of which pin or function it is).  When an assembler
is installing the component, they can align the two markings without having
to know how or why the component functions.

Now to answer your question.

Every diode I have ever seen has the cathode marked in some way.
Therefore, I suggest that you mark the cathode on the board.

Thank you and have a FANTASTIC day!

Kevin L. Seaman (714) 221-4752

P.S. If your "reply" bounces back, then "send" to: