Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 08:17:38 +0400 (EDT)
George, two documents that may be of use are IPC-2141 and IPC-D-317A.  I
forget the titles, but they deal with high speed and controlled impedance
issues.

I measure impedance using an HP 54120 time domain reflectometer set up.
I recommend having a good coupon on the edge of the PCB panel, including
a suitable connection to the 50-ohm cable from instrumentation.  The IPC
documents will tell you how to make the coupon.

HP has several application notes that help in using the time domain
reflectometer to measure impedance.  Alson Wong in Loveland, Colorado,
knows a lot about these matters (he's at HP), and has helped me a lot.

Lou Hart 412-858-6117

.