From:
"Bill Fabry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
27 Jun 1996 14:28:58 -0800
        Reply to:   RE>>Liability

Mark, et. al:

I would offer both concurrence and further support for your company's policy.
If a PCB supplier has certified that the boards have been electrically tested
and passed, the PCB vendor is responsible for all costs related to the
components on the PCB, assembly and test costs, etc. associated with the
manufacture of a discrepant assembly based on the defective PCB.  Further, our
policy stipulates that once the PCB vendor "buys" the assembly using the
defective PCB, if it is repairable, in compliance to IPC-A-610, latest
revision, and will pass electrical test diagnostics at the board level, we
will "buy" the board back at that same cost (i.e., repair at the PCB vendor's
expense).  That way, external trace opens and/or shorts can be repaired and
the assembly will not have to be scrapped.  External jumper wires not
documented by Engineering Change Order are NOT allowed on finished assemblies.

This position ultimately causes the PCB vendor to:
   a) focus on the problems of electrical test "escapes"
   b) holds the supplier accountable for the work they directly perform, and
   c) causes them to actively pursue continuous quality improvement to
minimize their scrap costs.

It is a matter for all vendors to take ownership of quality defects at the
point they are identified.

Bill Fabry
Truevision, Inc.