TECHNET Archives

August 2019

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 20:42:21 -0400
Hi,

 I was wondering what size you made the vias.

 I was playing with numbers that I read in some high power LED design notes. They suggested the use of as many of the smallest vias as possible. Seems the copper via walls are very thermally conductive, much more than anything you can put into a via. Even solder filled vias did not compare well to a large array of tiny through vias.

I had a DPAK on a 50mil think PCB where there were 70 vias each a 12mil drill. This 50 mil PCB was mounted on a 1mm Al plate with a thin insulator over the Al. The DPAK to Al plate was about 1 degree C per Watt. I thought that was pretty good.

Does anyone have numbers for via thermal conductivity when filled and not filled?

Thanks,
Bob K.