TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Tom Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tom Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:15:31 -0600
We are a low volume, high mix supplier of electronic assemblies to the OEM
market. Our products are primarily used in industrial or military
application. So far we have had only 1 customer (3 different products)
advise us that we will need to be compliant with RoHS, although we have
not been given a deadline (apparently one of the exemptions applies at
this point).

We have been experimenting with the IPC-1752 forms but, even with our
relatively simple systems, realize the tremendous volume of documentation
required when talking about an MDS for each part and each supplier of that
part. Using Excel 2003 we imported XML data for one P/N creating 28 rows
with over 30 columns of data.

What are you other small assembly houses doing to address this? We do not
have separate IT staff and are not looking to invest a chunk of money in
an application. Are programs like "e2open" the only alternative?

On another note although we have only been asked to comply with R0HS,
should we be looking at JIG as well? Thanks for your enlightened response.