TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:31:30 +1000
Thanks Werner and Shean,

This adds to my concern about the missmatch. This is a large device (40mm)
so these issues are fairly important.
I was worried about the pad pulling all of the solder from the joint and creating an open, but it seems that even an otherwise good, but assymettric joint can also cause problems.
I can't really do anything about the sphere diameter unfortunately.
I had thought of using SMD pads, but I'm convinced that that will cause a greater problem with the sort of stress concentrating geometry created in the resultant joint.

regards,

Phil.