From:
"Randy Johnson (Loveland)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 96 15:10:00 PDT

What was the duration and ramp times on your 1812  capacitor tests?
 ----------
From: TechNet-request
To: TechNet
Subject: Re: ASSY:FAB:Des: Joint Cracking LCCCC
Date: Friday, September 13, 1996 11:45AM

Bob,

I have seen serious cracking in tests on 1812 capacitors in -55 to +125C
test.
They are a good bit smaller and the TCE mismatch not so bad so I am not at
all surprised at what you are seeing.

I would treat 1206's as the limit in kit that is going to see those sorts of
temperatures (-55) regularly in service, unless measures are taken to reduce
the problem.

David Whalley

>I have been looking at some 20 pin Leadless Ceramic Chip Carriers which
have
>exhibited cracks. They are mounted on standard FR4 and thermal cycled
between
>-55 +80 for 1000 hours.
>
>Cracking is a problem with this device as we know but not at these low lead
>counts. Many uses in their design rules make 28 pin devices the limit and
then
>incorporate the use of matched substrate to reduce differential expansion.
>
>I would appreciate any feed back on failure that people have seen on
testing
of