From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:57:06 -0500 (CDT)
Denny

Adding on to Phil's comments below.  The 40% was in MIL-P-55110C in and
before 1980.  Part of the results of IPC Multilayer Round Robin V
indicated that a lot of quality product was being rejected do things like
the teardrop voids, and resin recession.  The "thermal-zone" concept was
proposed by George Smith, shortly after the round robin's release, and
the specifications changed to eliminate the resin recession evaluation
after stress.  It was kept for quite some time in the prior to stress
microsection and as Phil said, due to a lack of industry problems with
the condition, was further removed as a rejectable requirement.

I'm sure more history is out there.  I missed the meeting where they
plucked the magic 40% out of the air and plugged it into the spex in the
first place, so others will have to supplement if you need more.

Regards
Dave

David W. Bergman, V.P of Technical Programs
IPC
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL  60062-6135
847-509-9700 x340 Phone