Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:46:26 -0500

     Louh,

     At a previous employer we did not accept this type of defect,
     especially where conductors were impedance controlled and on
     component pads near the knee of holes.  I would say >90% of all
     incidences are not related to the copper chemistries.  The operators
     and/or plating shop managers are very knowledgable about their plating
     bathes (this case Electrolytic Plating).  They insure that chemistries
     are balance through set and random sampling for each shift (based
     on volume).  Although a sceince, the electrolytic plating chemistries
     are pretty much defined.

     Most burnt copper cases, as with my previous employer, where related
     to the external PWB layouts.

     When calculating the total current per side, an operator is supplying
     current via rectifiers to exposed copper regardless of its
     geographical location.  So low density areas with thin conductors will
     tend to overplate and eventually burn due to the supplied current,
     whereas high density areas will tend to plate evenly.  By re-routing
     your pads or conductors closer to the body of copper will minimize if
     not eliminate this condition.  Also provide deviations to suppliers by
     allowing theiving patterns to isolated conductors.  Other than
     cosmetics, the theiving does not affect fit, form and function.

     Due to the topography of burnt copper it will leave an impression on
     solder dewetting on pads or lands.

     Although slow, this is ONE reason why Japanese PWB shops still use
     Electroless Plating as the major copper depositor following a quick
     electrolytic.  There are other benefits for using Electroless Copper.

     General, but I hope it helps.

     John Gulley - QA
     Inet Inc. - A Smarter Vision
     Plano, TX