TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 11:00:15 +0300
Now, I'll tell you something even more disturbing. I was aware of the
Kapton problem c. 1983. At that time, I was working closely with the UK
Ministry of Defence Aquila in Bromley, Kent on ionic contamination. My
interlocutor was Alan Stopes who retired (c. 1987?) to go sheep farming
in Wales, after the DEF STAN on contamination was published in 1986.
During my numerous visits to Aquila, Alan discussed with me a number of
other problems that crossed his desk, such as corrosion of the
epoxy-encapsulated winding wire at the tag joint of a solenoid valve
used as part of the main rotor control of a helicopter which had
tragically crashed as a result. One day, I think in 1983, Alan invited
me to watch a film. It showed a freshly made bundle, about 5 cm across,
of polyimide insulated wiring, typical of what you would find in an
aircraft fuselage, with wires of different diameters. This bundle was
bent once through 90° over a radius of what I estimate to be ~5 cm on
the inside, allowing the individual wires to slide, so that the only
strain was that caused by the actual bending. The bundle was put on a
test rig behind armoured glass and the wires were powered up to voltages
and currents such as were typical in aircraft (I think, mostly 28 V DC,
if I remember correctly, with currents up to 40 A). No problem. Then a
burette containing tap water was opened so that there was a slow drip
falling on the bend. After a few minutes, it happened. It exploded or,
at least, it deflagrated violently, to the extent that the armoured
glass was splattered with bits of wiring.

The problem was discovered in the early 1980s when a Royal Air Force
troop carrier (I don't know what make/type) was preparing for take-off
when a deflagration occurred in the baggage hold. Happily, there were no
injuries and the hold had a major halon release which stopped the
aircraft from catching fire. Naturally, there was major damage so an
inquiry was held. It transpired that the cable that caused the problem
was bent round some pipework carrying "bluepoo" to or from one of the
toilets and a little leak of the stuff happened to drip onto where the
cable circumnavigated the pipe. What I did learn is that "bluepoo" is an
ethylene glycol solution with a strictly controlled pH of 7, that the
blue colour is a powerful dye (to show maintenance guys where there are
leaks) and it contains a deodorant of doubtful effectiveness, if you
happen to be the 100th user of the toilet on a flight.

What I say now is hearsay, but Alan told me that they had been in
contact with the polyimide manufacturer who categorically denied that
the insulation could be damaged with radiussed bends.

As a result of this investigation, the MoD specified that all new RAF
aircraft should not have polyimide-insulated wiring and this
specification was certainly sent to all companies supplying aircraft or
components thereof in the mid-1980s. It is to be supposed that
McDonnell-Douglas was likely to be one of them, yet, there we are,
several years later, in 1991, a brand spanking new MD-11 was delivered
to Swissair with polyimide wiring, with the horrible consequences that
we know. I certainly flew in that MD-11, several times. I KNEW that
polyimide wiring was unsafe and had naively assumed that it was no
longer used. YET, at
http://www.pogo.org/p/contracts/ca-021102-wiring.html I see that, in
2002, it is still being used. WHY?

Not really connected with this, but an amusing story about "bluepoo",
read
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/flying/what_happens_to_dry_ice.htm :-D

Brian