TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"Dhawan, Ashok CA-WINPO2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 09 Jun 97 17:32:00 GMT

The failure is short at test.the moment we apply 10 v-the capacitance value
reads as normal value dropping to zero instaneously .
since we are using voltmeter for DOE, the leakage current does not read out
( as infinity).
We are not sure -what you mean by  wet or dry type? We are testing as dry ?
we did test s on some of them while wet with flux- no significant
difference.Normally, the fabs are cleaned and dried after wave. incubation
time is provided for self-healing to occur.
We observed that one side(end) of cap is having flowlines-roughness while
other end side (cross-section) is smooth. All other surfaces-top, bottom,
left and right are smooth.There are no pinholes.
No surface cracks or distorsions observed on any surface as such.

We have not observed this problem on any other tantulam cap from the same
vendor.
The vendor has indicated to look on thermal and mechanical shock; moisture
at cleaning etc.

Another factor under observation is being thick board we are running wave at
below 2 ftm (1.8 to 2 ftm) and because of two waves -- we are having peak of
220 degc at first wave -cool down to 170 degc and second peak of 250 degc at
Lamda wave for 12 to 13 sec.Due to thich fab, it is difficult to achieve
reduce time on lamda.It is this area which we are not fully sure ?

Gluecure is at 150 degc for 88 sec with peak temp as 176 degc. Though this
process does not affect as indicated in our DOE, we lowered temp further to
125 degc for 120 sec with peak of 150 degc.