From:
"John Gully" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:09:27 +600 CDT
Jeff,

It all depends if you depanelize before or after assembly.  But it seems
obvious you chose panelization to improve assembly efficientcy.
However, you must investigate if the assemby will need a backup
jig, due to card thicknesses, Type I assemblies (SMT 2 sides, typical
for Smart cards), etc.  Route too much material away and not leave
enough webbing (tab) and you minimize the rigidity of the array.  To
improve this rigidity I recommend you score the card profiles versus
routing.  Depanelize the completed assemblies by using a dual pizza
cutter (Moetteller.....something like that) or similar(I can get the
information at home).  Monitor the applied stresses with a
strain gage and oscilloscope.  Typical Smart cards have components
near card edges, due to realestate.  These components may be near
the score path and could possibly induce solder joint fractures.

You got the picture.  There's more to this, but I'll stop here.  Call
if need more info

John Gulley
Compuroute Inc.
Dallas, TX