From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 01 Nov 96 09:22:55 cst
     Hi TechNet!

     I have had the "opportunity" to be part of the committee working on
     the JSTD 001 document and the comment that "....Most of the
requirements mentioned in the J-STD-001 are either cosmetic or not measurable by
 well-established inspection techniques" I take violent exception too! Yes, not
all of the requirements in JSTD 001 have hard and fast data behind but just as
many of the requirements do have data which the task group reviewed, argued
over, and even retested. The JSTD 001 specification is being used by many
companies to produce acceptable electronics hardware. No specification can
prescribe requirements that fit every application for all electronics for all
use environments. The JSTD 001 comes the closer to the goal of a "everyone can
use" specification than any other document to date. Will it satisfy everyone's
needs? No. All potential users should use the specification as  it would apply
to their product and use environments. As for Rensselear conducting data that
could be used to improve JSTD 001 that would be wonderful - being part of the
process instead of throwing stones at the specification is a positive,
constructive activity. I suggest you talk to the task group chairman, Jerry
Rosser, to get a better insight of the specification and how the testing you are
planning could improve the specification.

(Wow, sorry to get on my soapbox TechNet but that hit a nerve!)

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins